Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions about life at Rydal Park? We’re ready to help, with answers to FAQs about one of the Philadelphia area’s finest Life Plan Communities.
WHAT TYPE OF COMMUNITY IS RYDAL PARK?
Rydal Park is a Life Plan Community for people 62 and better.
WHAT IS A LIFE PLAN COMMUNITY?
Life Plan Communities — also called Continuing Care Retirement Communities, or CCRCs — are self-contained residential communities that offer people 62 and better a worry-free, maintenance-free lifestyle. Residents enjoy an active, independent lifestyle, as well as access to a continuum of long-term care services, including short-term rehab, memory care, personal care/assisted living and skilled nursing care.
WHAT DOES A LIFE PLAN COMMUNITY OFFER?
If a Life Plan Community boasts a Life Care and/or Fee-for-Service contract, residents have access to services like personal care, memory care, short-term rehab or skilled care. Should the need for these services ever arise, residents who have entered into an agreement can access the community’s on-site care centers. At Rydal Park, care is available indefinitely.
HOW IS A LIFE PLAN COMMUNITY DIFFERENT FROM A 55+ COMMUNITY?
Life Plan Communities and 55+ communities both offer independent living options, active lifestyles and amenities. But what separates Life Plan Communities from 55+ communities is that they also offer the security of a full range of on-campus health care services, including long-term care. In essence, there is no need to make a second move should a need for additional care arise in the future.
WHY SHOULD I MOVE TO A LIFE PLAN COMMUNITY?
There are several reasons to choose a Life Plan Community:
- You can “right-size” your lifestyle by eliminating the expense, effort and uncertainty of owning and maintaining a home.
- You’ll receive health care on demand, and often, financial benefits — which vary according to the contract you choose.
- Proactive planning saves children or family members from having to make a need-based decision on your behalf sometime down the road.
- You’ll enjoy the camaraderie of a close community of your peers and the security of a permanent life in that community, regardless of changes in your health circumstances.
- Studies consistently show that residents of Life Plan Communities tend to live longer, more active lives.
WHAT RESIDENTIAL AND FLOOR PLAN CHOICES ARE AVAILABLE?
Rydal Park currently offers four residential buildings — Hillside, Brookside, Woodside and Parkside — each with its own special attributes and floor plans. Apartment homes range from a cozy one-bedroom adjoining the community center to a luxurious, private, two-bedroom, two-bath residence with scenic views.
WHAT SERVICES DOES RYDAL PARK OFFER?
When we say you’ll lead a maintenance-free lifestyle at Rydal Park, we mean it. Just by selecting your apartment home, you’re entitled to a vast list of services designed to make life easier, including:
- Weekly housekeeping
- Bed and bath linen service
- Apartment and grounds maintenance
- 24-hour emergency and security services
Learn more about our services.
WHAT LIFESTYLE AMENITIES DOES RYDAL PARK OFFER?
Rydal Park offers all of the amenities you’d expect from a world-class Life Plan Community, each designed to inspire and facilitate a well-rounded lifestyle of wellness. Here is a small sample of our offerings:
- Physical wellness — heated indoor swimming pool, hot tub spa, state-of-the-art fitness center, personal trainer, aqua aerobics, tai chi, yoga, dance and stretch and tone classes
- Cultural enrichment — on-site education courses with area university partners, lecture series, speaker presentations, library, technology center, computer training, greenhouse, individual garden areas, woodworking, billiards, hobby and game rooms, volunteer opportunities
- Entertainment — on-campus concerts, featuring high-profile performers, dancing, films, art shows, beautifully appointed auditorium/performing arts center, off-site events and excursions
- Convenience — salon and barbershop, scheduled transportation to shopping, personalized driving services, on-site banking and ATM machine, convenience market, pharmacy delivery, gift shop, subscription newspaper delivery and resident business center
Learn more about our lifestyle amenities.
WHAT DINING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AT RYDAL PARK?
Dining is more than nourishment for the body; it’s sustenance for the spirit. That’s why you’ll find several distinctive dining venues, as well as a flexible dining plan, at Rydal Park.
- Rydal and Abington Dining Rooms — full-service settings, offering a wide range of culinary delights prepared by our talented chefs
- Casual Café — fun and casual breakfast, lunch and dinner offerings
- The Club Room & Bar — perfect for relaxing with a friend over cocktails and lighter fare
WHAT WELLNESS AND FITNESS PROGRAMS ARE OFFERED?
You’ll find a wide variety of ways to stay fit, both on- and off-campus. Rydal Park wellness amenities include:
- Year-round heated indoor swimming pool
- Hot tub spa
- Fitness center with state-of-the-art equipment
- Personal trainer
- Health and fitness classes, including water walking, aqua aerobics, tai chi, stretch and tone aerobics, dance programs, yoga and more
- Walking clubs
Learn more about healthy living.
WHAT TYPES OF CONTRACTS DOES RYDAL PARK OFFER?
Rydal Park offers two basic types of contracts: Life Care and Fee-for-Service.
- Life Care (type A) means that, should the need for personal care, memory care or skilled care ever arise, you’ll be able to move to our community’s on-site care center without experiencing an increase in your monthly fee. For those who have entered into a Life Care agreement, care at these rates is available for an unlimited period of time.
- Fee-for-Service means that you have access to all the same health care services as those who have entered into a Life Care agreement. Should you require additional care, you will pay the current rate for the services you use.
HOW DOES LONG-TERM CARE INSURANCE WORK?
Those who have long-term care insurance sometimes find the Fee-for-Service contract an attractive option. Rydal Park works to help you benefit from your long-term care insurance, but individual policies can vary from person to person. If you have questions specific to your situation, please call us at 215-376-6292, or schedule a visit and we’ll be happy to address them.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY HEALTH CARE NEEDS TO CHANGE ONCE I MOVE IN?
If you have entered into a Life Care agreement, then your health care needs will be taken care of, with no increase in monthly expenses. Whether this includes personal care, memory care or skilled nursing care at our on-site care center, you can rest assured that you’ll be cared for indefinitely at your regular monthly rate, plus a charge for ancillary items (medical supplies, medications, etc.).
If you opt to live at Rydal Park on a Fee-for-Service basis, you will still have access to all these services but will pay the going rate for the services you use if/when you use them.
WHAT IF MY SPOUSE AND I HAVE DIFFERENT HEALTH CARE NEEDS?
In the event of a change in health for you or your spouse, the last thing you need is the stress of an added financial burden. If one member of a couple requires care and moves to our skilled nursing care center, the other member may remain in residential living.
If you’ve entered into a Life Care agreement, you’ll continue to pay only the regular monthly fee for a residential living apartment, plus ancillary items (medical supplies, medications, etc.).
If you’ve entered into a Fee-for-Service agreement, you will continue to pay the regular monthly fee for your independent living home. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for the care services you use, as well as charges for ancillary items at the Care Center for the second person. If you carry long-term care insurance, this is where it might kick in.
WILL I HAVE TO CHANGE DOCTORS?
No. The choice is yours. You can keep your current physician, but Rydal Park also offers on-site primary care physicians and numerous specialties — as well as lab services — if you prefer the convenience of an on-site doctor.
WILL RYDAL PARK ASSIST NEW RESIDENTS WITH SELLING THEIR HOMES AND MOVING?
We can recommend realtors, packing and planning services, auctioneers and more — all vetted by our very happy residents.
CAN WE CUSTOMIZE THE APARTMENT
Yes. Rydal Park residents love customizing their new residences to suit their tastes. You can work with our team or have fun planning and decorating with family and friends. We can also recommend qualified interior designers who have helped other Rydal Park residents.
ARE GRANDCHILDREN WELCOME?
Yes. Grandchildren, family members and friends are always welcome to join you for meals and entertainment or to enjoy our many other programs and events. As an added amenity, Rydal Park offers guest rooms for your out-of-town visitors.
CAN I HAVE A PET AT RYDAL PARK?
Yes! Your pet is welcome at Rydal Park. Ask about our pet-friendly policy.
Call 215-376-6292 for more information.
HOW CAN I SCHEDULE A VISIT?
The best way to understand life at Rydal Park is to come see it and feel it for yourself. Schedule your visit today by calling 215-376-6292, emailing us at info@RydalPark.org or visiting our Contact page.