At Rydal Park, we understand that the recovery period following any illness, surgery or injury can be extremely challenging. The focus of our short-term rehab program is on helping you recover as quickly and fully as possible so that you can get back to your life again. Featuring a highly trained team of rehabilitation specialists working with the latest equipment and technologies, our short-term rehabilitation exceeds national expectations for average length of stay. Our compassionate, highly ranked team provides person-centered therapy services for a wide range of conditions and needs, including:
- Post-operative care
- Total hip and knee replacement care
- Orthopedic injury recovery
- Trauma injury care
- Cardiac recovery care
- Pulmonary care
- Vision issues
- Wound care
- Work or sports related issues
- Diabetic care
- Amputee reconditioning/strengthening
- Stroke care
- Treatment for neurological disorders, including Parkinson’s Disease
- Generalized weakness following a hospital stay
- Patient or family education.
A primary care physician will partner with you upon admission, providing evaluation and updates throughout treatment.
Joseph C. Scott Medical Center
Opened in 2011 on the Rydal Park campus, our state-of-the-art, 94,000-square-foot complex established a new standard of excellence. The Center allows us to provide the finest in nursing and rehabilitative services to our residents and to those in the greater community who are seeking short-term rehab. With our convenient location, just minutes away from local hospitals, we’re an excellent choice for patients in need of post-acute care. A preferred provider of Abington Hospital-Jefferson Health, we admit clients seven days a week and accept Medicare and most insurances, including HMOs.
Joseph C. Scott Medical Center features include:
- Large, modern, private rooms with private showers
- Three cooked-to-order meals served daily in a restaurant-style dining room, with nutritious snacks available
- Menus designed with chef and dietitian collaboration
- Nutritional counseling
- Spiritual support for all denominations
- Flat-screen TVs and free basic cable in each room
- Housekeeping seven days a week
- Beautiful lounges, living rooms and common areas
- A variety of cultural, educational, recreational and spiritual programs
- Outdoor gardens and terrace
Types of Rehabilitation Services
Physical, occupational, speech and respiratory services are provided seven days per week in our skilled nursing environment by experienced and credentialed therapists. Genesis Rehab Services, a national leader in physical and occupational therapy, works side by side with the Rydal Park team to help guide you on your road to recovery.
The goals of physical therapy at Rydal Park include:
- Restoring physical function and movement
- Managing pain
- Preventing future injuries
- Increasing strength, endurance and flexibility.
- Gait training
- Pain management
- Balance and coordination training
- Mobility exercises
- Bed mobility and transfer training
- Pre- and post-operative exercise programs
- Prosthetic training
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Home assessments
- Community re-entry
- Outpatient therapy
Occupational therapy at Rydal Park helps you regain independence after injury or illness through the practice of everyday life skills. We tailor our programs to fit individual health and personal situations. For instance, you may have stairs to negotiate at home or a pet in need of daily care.
Health conditions that may benefit from occupational therapy include:
- Stroke or heart attack
- Head injuries
- Burns and spinal cord trauma
- Work- or sports-related injuries
- Mental illness
- Neurological conditions
Our interdisciplinary team provides assessment, personalized treatment plans and ongoing services to help you achieve goals in the following areas:
- Activities of daily living – bathing, dressing, eating, stair climbing, pet care, etc.
- Maintaining a safe home environment
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping
- Mobility training
- Adaptive equipment and training
- Home assessment and equipment ordering
- Other skills needed in daily living
Speech & Language Therapy
Our expert speech therapists are trained to evaluate and treat speech, communications and swallowing issues. Health conditions that may lead to speech issues include:
- Oral or laryngeal cancer
- Huntington’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Vocal chord damage or paralysis
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Goals of speech therapy at Rydal Park include:
- Improving communication, pronunciation and voice clarity
- Enhancing language-related skills such as reading, writing and listening
- Boosting memory, thinking and organization
- Developing exercises, diet modification and strategies designed to manage swallowing impairment
Our interdisciplinary respiratory team evaluates and treats health care issues affecting the cardiopulmonary system. Health conditions that may lead to respiratory issues include:
- Cardiovascular disorders
Respiratory therapy at Rydal Park includes practices such as:
- Performing diagnostic tests such as measuring lung capacity
- Helping Improve breathing function through chest physiotherapy and aerosol medications
- Using ventilators and other equipment
- Educating guests about breathing techniques,
- Instruction in the proper use and cleaning of nebulizes and inhalers
- Diagnosing sleep apnea
Our team is committed to helping you regain and maintain an active, creative and rewarding lifestyle through therapeutic recreational programs. These programs are offered days, evenings and weekends under the direction of a certified recreational therapist.
Horticultural, Music and Art Therapy
Horticultural, music and art therapy is offered on a regular basis to improve and enhance your physical, mental and emotional well-being.
Whether you want help ordering equipment, need additional services at home, require a new level of care or are considering a move to reduce stress and enhance well-being, our dedicated team of social workers and skilled therapists will help to set the stage for the next phase of recovery.
A Great Place to Visit. An Exceptional Place to Live.
From the delicious food to the friendly people to the beautiful setting, there are many reasons that guests who’ve come for rehabilitation fall in love with Rydal Park and choose to stay on as long-term, independent living residents. If you’re here on a short-term basis, we encourage you to request a tour of our campus and explore the options available.